Referrals are one of the many rewards you enjoy for doing a good job. But they’ll continue to be few in number unless you actively seek them out. Here are five tips for generating them from your client base. (There are many other approaches as well.)
1. Assure your clients that you won’t embarrass them by describing exactly how you’ll handle the referral once a name is provided.
2. Provide memory joggers to help folks think of potential names. Examples: Your immediate neighbors • People with whom you do business • Local social media friends, followers, and connections.
3. Ask for “just one name” while on the phone or emailing an insured.
4. Reward referrals by entering people who provide names into a drawing for a prize.
5. Request an introduction to a specific individual you want as a client by privately asking a social media follower who is publicly connected to them..