I trust you * I don’t trust you * I don’t know if I trust you.
These are the 3 things people think when they first meet you. Is it because of you or is it because of something from their past that has made them think this way ?
Here are my guidelines to establish trust and credibility:
1. Smile and be enthusiastic – make them want to be with you.
2. Get into common ground with them.
3. Speak their language. Use their words and expression. Speak at their pace.
4. Tune in on their moods and feelings.
5. Listen to how they say something and what they say.
6. Provide good feedback. Use acknowledgement, supporting statements and empathy statements. Ask clarification questions.
ALWAYS AVOID the following:
1. Being judgemental
2. Explaining too early or too often.
3. Sounding hostile, challenging to insincere.
If this helps – please comment at the bottom of this post and let me know that you like it or don’t like it.